Window Mounts.

The mount board I ordered from Daler-Rowney finally arrived on Thursday after DHL finally delivered after their pitiful attempts to deliver at 13:00 on weekdays when no one is in.

So the parcel is a little bigger and heavier than I thought, there’s only 15 sheets inside it but they are massive sheets of mount board. I’ll definitely have enough for my frames and then some.20130517-201327.jpg

To test out the board, not that it’s anything different to regular mount board, I’m going to cut a window mount for a frame that will eventually house a print for Chris Bartle from Pitlochry; a family friend who let me use a room in February.20130517-201337.jpg

The only down side to the mount board being massive is I’ll have to work on the floor since I don’t have a table big enough to accommodate the sheer size of the mount board. I’ll sacrifice my back for a job well done.20130517-201342.jpg

I originally measured the border to be 60mm wide but a blunt blade wouldn’t go cleanly all the way through the board so I had to remeasure for a 55mm border, with 65mm on the lowest edge to optically centre the print once it’s in the frame.20130517-201346.jpg

Once I had remeasured and marked out the lines to be cut I aligned the “parallelogram” to butt the board up to so the window mount would be square.20130517-201350.jpg

Before I put the cut window mount in the frame I gave the glass a clean, it was dusty and had greasy finger prints on both sides so I routed around the garage cupboards to find the glass cleaner; the industrial stuff.20130517-201355.jpg

And there it is, a perfectly square window mount ready for a print I haven’t even considered to look at yet. Fortunately or unfortunately, you decide, it’ll be a Giclée print; so it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle to get the size right. I know I shouldn’t print to the size of the aperture but the window mount border looks right, so for this one job I’ll do it backwards.20130517-201359.jpg

Advertisements