Polaroid Surgery.

It’s time. Time to convert the power source for this Land Cam.

I wouldn’t really be able to do this if I hadn’t memorised Instructibles’ walk through. But, I feel some of their photos aren’t illustrative enough, so hopefully whilst I’m doing mine I can provide clearer photos: if I remember to stop after each step and grab a shot of what I’ve done.

The first and most obvious step is to turn the camera over and reveal the battery compartment.20130611-085644.jpg

After taking out the battery, I used a ‘Philips’ screwdriver to remove the factory battery holder to make space for the AAA battery holder. Before I cut away the battery terminals I unwound the cable from the terminals, just to make sure if I had to redo the entire process I’d have extra to play with.20130611-085648.jpg

Before I even got the soldering iron out I placed the AAA battery holder in place and measured the wires to make sure once the cables are inside the camera they won’t contort and split at the connections. I also took the opportunity to see how much wire I’d have left to see if I can use wire from the battery holder to bridge the fourth battery slot, there’s enough.20130611-085652.jpg

As the original battery holder is a little smaller and narrower than the AAA holder, I had to carefully cut away the factory battery supports with a pair of pliers.20130611-085702.jpg

I also had to trim the AAA battery holder a little too, the door won’t close if it’s not trimmed.20130611-141832.jpg

This is where Instrucibles didn’t show much detail of the bridge you need to create, so I shot a clearer photo, using red wire instead of black to make an obvious contrast.20130611-141836.jpg

After another dry fit to make sure everything was sitting correctly I soldered all the connections and wrapped the connections in red electric tape.20130611-141841.jpgNote the battery holder doesn’t go in straight, it has to sit at a funky orientation, but it doesn’t want to move once it’s in.

Since I had already put half a pack of film in, my test to check if it’s been done right is to just shoot, I could cover the lens and listen for the lens to open and remove my hand to see if I can hear it close but I want to have fun with this camera. Even if it is nerve wracking to think it won’t work at any moment because I did the conversion.

The shutter isn’t loud so at first I wasn’t sure it did anything, but after pulling the tab and the film out I was comforted to see that it had worked.20130611-141847.jpg

I took the camera outside to shoot the poppies but after pulling the tab I left the peel apart section in the camera, resulting in an overexposed area, which freaked me out.20130611-141851.jpg

I shot another but pulled it straight away, no signs of fogging, but I wasn’t fully sure so I shot another.20130611-141855.jpgAt this point I had changed the exposure bias dial on the lens to lighten, hence the better exposure.

I was convinced the camera was working fine after lying down with a cup of tea and photographing my bed.20130611-142254.jpg

It might take a while, a few packs of film, for my confidence to grow with this camera but in the mean time I can’t wait to take this beaut on location scouting shoots.20130611-151940.jpg

Upon putting a fresh pack of film in, I couldn’t get the first tab out, I forgot the pressure back springs don’t play nice with plastic packs. So after this pack has been used I’ll bend the springs back to relieve the pressure. If that doesn’t work I’ll break them away from the back and add some 20mm thick foam to compensate for the springs. All should be gravy then.

Advertisements