To commemorate my 120th blog post I thought it apt to shoot a roll of 120.
Prior to this post I hadn’t shot any medium format film in quite a while, so I decide to root through my loose film bag to see if I had any rolls to shoot, develop and print. I found two rolls of Delta 400 but then I remembered that I sold all of the medium format cameras I owned. Undeterred I continued to root through my camera cupboard to see if I could find something that I could use; low and behold I found the Ensign “All-Distance” box camera that Kev (the uni tech) gave me as a leaving present last year.I loaded it up and decided to set the aperture to ‘large’. I did this because the shutter sounded quite short and the weather we’ve been having the past 3 weeks hasn’t been great so I deemed a large aperture appropriate.
Since I wasn’t sure how the roll would come out I decided to try stand developing the roll in Caffenol-C-L.I’ve used Caffenol before but I’ve never stand developed a roll of film so it was an ideal experiment. I mixed the chemicals and I let the developer work for 1 hour whilst I watched a film. I was pleasantly surprised by the results; a few frames are over exposed and over developed with some bizarre staining along the length of one side but I’m not complaining, I say it’s part of the charm. These are some of the resultant negatives on a light table.They’re not bad considering I’ve never used this camera or stand developed with coffee before.
I decided to contact print these negatives. Normally I’d scan Caffenol negatives but these are 6×9 and I usually resize my scans a little for the blog. Resizing 6×9 to what I usually resize to would make for unpleasant results.
It was nice to shoot my first roll of the year, even if it was 3 weeks in the making. I can’t wait to get out and shoot some 5×4 though, hopefully the weather will hold out for long enough and I’ll be able to get a day of shooting.